Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 20 & 21: Starting to miss my oatmeal and yogurt

Realized I don't have that many pictures of the food I ate this past weekend because it kind of all went by in a blur, whoops! Plus, my fridge is slim pickings right now, as I have not found time to go to the grocery store yet (booo...)

Poor organization means a hodgepodge of unsatisfying meals. Still whole30 approved! Just not as elaborate. These weeks are bound to happen! I'm headed for home this Saturday, so it is also difficult to asses how much/little produce to buy
to last until then...

Saturday - day 20

Overall, weird eating day. This was the day of MaryAlice and Alex's wedding in Story City, Iowa.

Breakfast
  • 3 eggs
  • mushroom/onion/green pepper/spinach combo
  • banana
  • coffee

Lunch
I packed lunch for the road for Ben and I with whatever groceries I had. He got a regular meal of a sandwich with turkey, cheese and spinach. If only I could have enjoyed the same...cue the moment I resent the whole30 haha, but I ended up filling up a sandwich bag with some broccoli slaw (so strings of cabbage) and 1/2 of a leftover chicken breast and ate it as a salad. Not bad, just not all that satisfying.
  • 2 apples - I originally sliced up one for Ben, who is not that big into apples anyway, but was so hungry I ate his, too. Plus I bought him a bag of cheesy popcorn, so no, he did not starve.
  • 1 banana
  • cucumber slices
Dinner
Ahh, this was unfortunate because I did not know what what we would be served at the reception. Ben suggested when we were asked the elusive "chicken or beef" question several weeks ago that one order beef, the other chicken. This, my friends, was the right call and I'm grateful he did not let me order chicken for both of us (my original plan) because the chicken was covered in cheese, so I ate a piece of beef.

Oh I'm sorry, did I say eat? I meant scarfed. Annihilated. Inhaled. Swallowed.

I could not eat the side dishes either (cheesy corn and a white baked potato).

My stomach was growling, let me tell ya.

The night was a lot of fun though. I could easily sit here and share the many stories about the absurdity that follows Ben and I around when we go out in public. For example, this time, in a bizarre chain of events/people, we ended up at our own table at the reception (this always seems to happen) But of course, we were perfectly content laughing in the corner together. So typical. And even though the total of six hours in the car beat the three hours at the wedding itself, it was great to watch one of my friends get married and enjoy her day. She looked beautiful and glowing and all of those words the bridal magazines spew at you from their glossy pages.
Plus, anything's fun with this guy around.

"Not to sound shallow or unsupportive, but if we are going to this thing, we are getting cake."

Not only was our loner table in the back corner by the speakers, but we were directly next to the dessert table. Yesssss.
I should have learned from KC (who's shocked that I didn't?) But again, DO NOT wait until you are walking towards the car, about to embark on a 3.5 hour drive home, to remember to take a picture.

Only took 6 or 7 shots, and me complaining my hair was messed up in 4 of them, to get the right one.

Nailed it.

But really, I was starving, and though some girls may see an opportunity to fit better into their dress, I saw it as a reason to raid Ben's cupboards when we got back. SO! I finished my strange day of food at 11pm with:
  • 4 dates
  • handful of sunflower seeds
  • some carrots
  • 2 hardboiled eggs
Is it time for a midnight snack of cereal, yet? The college kid in me really misses that.

Sunday - Day 21 

Breakfast
  • 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1 hamburger patty
Lunch
Again, SLIM pickings. I worked from noon-5:30, then had dinner plans with friends, so no, I did not make it to the store again. My lunch was pitiful. I don't know how I survived.
  • 1 chicken breast (split into strips to fool myself that it was more)
  • big bag of carrots
Dinner
Chipotle! Got the typical burrito bowl (let's call it what it is, a salad. A carnitas SALAD)

Still, so delish.

The important thing, besides my growling stomach - even after I inhaled my salad - was that I spent nearly 4 hours with some of my favorite friends who are still in Nebraska this summer, like me. It was the perfect summer evening sitting outside, eating overpriced guac (damn you, chipotle, damn you) and talking about our lives and lamenting over the fact that senior year of college snuck up on us without any of our knowledge or consent.

I don't remember signing a release form allowing it to come this soon.

And yet, I'm grateful all the same.

I then proceeded to go home and raid my fridge for some sustenance and was greeted only by a few leftover strawberries and a handful of carrots, which I dipped in tahini sauce - the carrots, not the strawberries. It was desperation at it's finest. 

Gotta get my butt to the store in between working the desk and helping Nancy!

This is why weekend grocery buying is essential. I think I needed a reminder of that lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment