Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 18: Sweet potatoes are how I've survived this far

It's true. Sweet potatoes have made an appearance on my plate almost every day. They are just so versatile  I don't think I'll ever want to go back to white potatoes. I was never that inclined to eating them anyway, and now that I've committed myself to those misshapen, orange lumps of deliciousness, I think I should remain faithful.

'Till winter do us part.

Breakfast
You guessed it - sweet potatoes were the star on my 1980's breakfast table! I had my dear friend, Katyra over for breakfast and decided to go with this recipe for a sweet potato hash of sorts!
it includes:

  • 1 sweet potato
  • onion
  • green pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic (supposed to be roasted, I did not do this, I just minced mine w/some olive oil, but will try next time!)
  • salt/pepper
  • italian seasoning
It was a pretty good recipe! Definitely has not hit it's full potential yet, but as Ben reminded me, the first time you test out a recipe, it never is. I would recommend adding something more to give it more, maybe try experimenting with whatever spices you have in your kitchen!

Also  I asked her to bring over a larger skillet since mine can hardly fry 2 eggs simultaneously  and she brought over the monster of all skillet monsters. I swear Tangled knew what they were talking about with the whole advocating-the-power-of-the-frying-pan thing (especially around :24 in the clip ;))

I also served us both 2 eggs sunny side up and some strawberries cut up - nummy!

Lunch
Lunch was light and pretty lame. I thought I was going to run in the early afternoon, but ended up napping instead (typical) so I ate some chicken for protein and then decided to make some chicken because my glad container was running low, and if you remember from day 12, that doesn't go so hot with me.
  • 1 apple
  • carrots
  • 1 chicken breast
I then went to work and came back and decided to go for a run. It's been a ridiculously long amount of time, and my energy really has begun to come back in full force since I began whole30, so I just ran and ran (too far for my first time back...) turns out I accidentally went about 5 miles. My body was exhausted and still currently recovering. Yikes!

Post work-out snack
I referenced the whole30 meal-planning template for what to eat post-work out, and so I had a few slices of deli turkey and a whole bunch of carrots

Dinner
  • 1 peach
  • made-up mixture (take two!) of broccoli coleslaw, 1 chicken breast, and a lot of broccoli all mixed together with tahini sauce - SO GOOD! Will probably try again tonight and add some spinach

Here's a cliche picture of a flower I found on my run - along with 2 families of ducks!! So cute! But the picture did not turn out well.

It's the little things, people. It really is.




No comments:

Post a Comment