Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 3: Hydration is a thing now

I have been SO thirsty the past three days and have begun keeping a water bottle on hand. That was one of my goals when I started this, to drink more water! Luckily, this hasn't been hard so far because a high-fiber diet makes you thirsty!


Breakfast
  • 1 fried egg (it is now my goal to make the perfect one)
  • small cup of ground turkey (heated up)
  • 1 tomato slice
  • 1 mushroom (sliced)
  • 2 slices of orange
  • 4 strawberries
  • coffee
I definitely notice how hungry I am between breakfast and lunch. This is the time of day I'd go to a granola bar, or just a handful of whatever was around. I stay full for longer since I have so much nutritious food right away in the morning, but my snacker stomach has been gnawing at me!

Lunch

  • Homemade coleslaw! We finally did it! Well, we didn't cut up our own cabbage, but we did homemake the mayo! (recipe at the bottom) We ate it ALL.
  • 1 Jenni-O turkey burger I'd had in my freezer since last August (did I mention I've never really cooked before this? Because I don't know what else I could do to hammer in that point)
  • 2 orange slices (cut in half)
  • cataloupe
  • 1/2 of a banana

Seriously, all Ben and I feel like we do is eat, or think about eating, or google recipes....or like this particular day, after lunch, we ran out to Scheels at SouthPointe to get the security tag off of his new Patagonia raincoat (Boooo Scheels, we were up-set). 
But since we were already out there...we thought a trip to Trader Joe's would be appropriate, and not just because of the whole30 thing, but because we are weird and have always walked around grocery stores together.

He bought me flowers. 
I bought coconut spray.
Romantic!







Dinner

  • Small bowl of applesauce
  • Chicken breast (all of these chicken breasts are actually half-breasts already, very thin)
  • asparagus 
  • sweet potato fries (OM NOM NOM)
(And yes, Ben may have made most of this while I was working...but I'm still learning each and every step he does so I can fly solo one of these days!)

After dinner snack

AHH, this habit is a hard one to kick! Though instead of eating "snacky" foods to satiate my need for something to nibble on like some coconut chips/cashews combo, I stick to fruits or vegetables if I am ACTUALLY hungry. Tonight, it was a combo.
  • Carrots, celery, grape tomatoes (that I got for free from Nancy cleaning out her fridge! Score!)


Also, I have watched Ben eat popcorn the last 2 nights. Not only is this excruciating, but empowering! Saying NO to popcorn more than once? Hello self control. Nice to meet you, I did not realize you had such a sympathetic face.

Homemade Mayo Recipe from the Food Network!

**A couple of notes:

  • We used white balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar
  • Ben didn't know I owned dijon mustard so that was not included (though would have been a good edition)
  • we used canola oil. 
  • We also added lots of dill to our coleslaw, definitely add this for a more tangy flavor. 




Also important to recognize that we did not have a food processor, so Ben was a champ and continued to stir the persnickety emulsion as I ever so slowly drizzled in the canola oil bit by arm-cramping bit. This went on for 15 sweaty minutes. Okay, maybe not sweaty, but there was a little perspiration happening. That counts as a workout, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment