Thursday, June 20, 2013

Corny-beginning-self-reflective-I-can-do-this-post!

The


Here we go!
What is the whole30?

If you don't feel inclined to read the website-more-than-five-lines-version of what the whole30 really is, I'll summarize:

It is self-control torture that might just kill me.

HA! Okay, only sort of.

It's 30 days of learning how to eat with meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. It's all about foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed.

Did I mention...NO GRAINS *cue the horror music and salivation at picture below*

But really, if you know me, you know I do not cook, I do not meal plan very well, and I would rather "re-pin" travel destinations than recipes any day (side note: pinterest WILL waste away my life, but that's a whole other addiction to be dealt with at a later date).

However, I do enjoy new foods, I love trying different things, but I've never been that interested in cooking. My priorities have shifted as I've gotten older, and since Ben is an excellent (not to mention patient) chef, I've felt more capable to provide for myself, and he's incredibly supportive, so don't worry people, I won't starve with him around.

I've never attempted anything quite like this before. My motivation is not purely weight loss. It has been a long (not always finished) process at loving the way I look. Plus, this program does not allow you to weigh yourself because that's not what this is about! I want to learn my lessons about food now and not when I'm 30 and still heating up a can of beans and nibbling on carrots and granola at 11pm because I can't bring myself to turn on the oven.

Not that this is based on a true story...

(Writers should not be able to blog, we ramble too dang much)

Anyway, I see this as a way to challenge myself. I am living in Lincoln this summer, and a solid amount of that time is soon to be spent by myself since my roommate is jetting off on a European adventure (something I can reminisce about here). *le sigh*

But I am 20 (almost 21!) years old. I do not have my own family to feed, my money can be dispersed however I see fit since the loan police have not stolen my soul just yet, and I care about my health. All antics aside, that's what this is about. My relationship with food could use some attention and care, and I see now as a time to do it. This blog is accountability for myself to keep going. I want to challenge myself, and I know myself too well. I will not just "try to cut back" on sugary, processed, carbo-loaded foods, I need a heavier dose of motivation. This is not for anyone else but myself and my body.

I hope to:
1. Learn more about the food I eat and how it can fuel my body. Knowledge is power!
2. Watch my uber-sensitive stomach for reactions to the foods I'm eating (good and bad). I am already lactose intolerant (apart from yogurt) and I've been told to log my food for quite some time, so this is a perfect opportunity!
3. I do want to learn how to cook, I really do, but I say that knowing that desire is not after working all day with a ravenous hunger for anything easy and in plain sight, or after a horrible night's sleep and all I want is instant oatmeal and maybe some peanut butter. This is to prove to myself that I CAN cook and I can do it creatively!
4. I want to recognize where my emotional and phycological attachments to food surface once I eliminate a lot of my usual snack routines. Not so excited for this one, but it's the most necessary.
5. Self-control, my friends. I have, how do you say? None. Well, I've never been into sweets, so it's not a "I'll just have a bite of this cake" problem, but lock me in a room full of bread and I will go at it.

Ahhh, the lengthy intro post, I know it well.

Here's to learning more about the food I eat and becoming a healthier version of myself! T-minus 4 days until I begin!

-Madeline

Okay, just one more picture of bread, just for kicks.

The French really do have it goin' on.






No comments:

Post a Comment